<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d2266529344607186388\x26blogName\x3dThe+Apathist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://theapathist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://theapathist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d884683321372852148', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Thursday, December 18, 2008
The Art of Giving - The Next Chapter

It has just started to dawn on me that I'm graduating from university in July, which has led to a slight panicked realistion that I have to start looking for a job without really knowing what I'm qualified to do. I'm hoping my degree in Media and Cultural Studies is vague enough to be applied to numerous fields, but I sort-of have my eye on something in publishing. Which means that I spend numerous hours on publishing houses websites looking for vacancies and graduate programs. However, with a wandering mind like mine, more often than not I end up looking at the books instead and making mental (in both senses of the word) wishlists of what I'd love to get for Christmas. So if jewellery and stylish fripperies aren't your thing, try this lot instead:

The Bill Amberg Collection
Bill Amberg stops designing bags long enough to create these lovely leather-bound book covers for six classic novels:
Truman Capote's Breakfast At Tiffany's, Evelyn Waugh's Brideshead Revisited, F. Scott Fitzgerald's The Great Gatsby, E.M. Forster's A Room with a View, Oscar Wilde's The Picture of Dorian Gray, and Raymond Chandler's The Big Sleep (the inclusion of this thrills me as I'm a huge fan of the 'hard-boiled detective' genre, and Raymond Chandler is like the father of the modern crime novel...well joint father with Dashiell Hammett, you can't really say who'd win in a fight between Philip Marlowe and Sam Spade.)
A signed, first edition of Haruki Murakami's Blind Willow, Sleeping Woman.


Posters and silk-screen prints from Bella Muse

I'll tell you what I probably shouldn't admit as a Media student, but the introduction of the e-book reader on Waterstones' website is bothering the hell out of me. The idea of a world where people read off screens instead of pages on the bus or the train is slightly bizarre. How on earth are you supposed leave coffee cup marks on the cover of an e-book reader, and what is going to happen to libraries?...I am also worried about the fate of the bookmark, despite being one of those people who uses a napkin or folds the corner of the page to keep my place.


This Is Where We Live from 4th Estate on Vimeo.

PS. Thanks so much for the birthday wishes, you guys are sweet! I ended up celebrating it anyway and it was lovely!

Labels: , ,

8 comments