<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d2266529344607186388\x26blogName\x3dThe+Apathist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://theapathist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://theapathist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d884683321372852148', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Sunday, February 24, 2008
P is for....


Audrey Tatou's new movie is coming out around March/April and she looks pretty wonderful in it. She's starring as a young gold digger who mistakenly woos a bartender (Gad Elmalah) thinking he's a millionaire. However, when she tries to back out of the scheme, he falls in love. The director (Pierre Salvadori) touts the film as "fresh-re-imagining of the cinema classic, Breakfast at Tiffany's", and you can see the use of iconic signs when you look at the poster with its' Tiffany-blue background, and Tatou in a black dress. As long as the film doesn't attempt to be an exact modern-retelling of Breakfast At Tiffany's, I'll probably enjoy it because Audrey Tatou's a wonderful actress - someone I'd choose if there ever was a need for an exact remake (which there isn't) - and in the trailer she appears to have a wardrobe full of dreamy dresses. Looks like an hour and thirty minutes of French escapism (sans the awful Yunioshi).

Penkov - Sadly, I'm going back to LFW S/S 08 because I only just found them, so Penkov gets their debut here today instead, because it's better late than never.

Anyway, Penkov gets a mention because they produced a s/s collection that was a fresh, not-too-bright (read: floral) which consisted of quite a few versatile pieces that could literally be worn in different ways. And they used lots of sand-coloured fabric to create some gorgeous dresses which can be worn billowing all over the shop, or cinched in creating a bit of a modern-day, Jane Austen look (and you know I just love Jane Austen).



Back in the future at Milan Fashion Week, Prada is stirring up a significant amount of covetous emotion in me, and Pringle is making me excited about winter which is infuriating as just as I become certain that I prefer hot weather, the clothes confuse me and lure me back into wishing it's bloody winter again...I guess it's a sign of my indecisive, somewhat fickle character, but how can I help it after seeing what Miuccia Prada and Claire Waight Keller have come up with?

Prada's winter collection has made me reconsider the appeal of lace, but my real attraction was to the solid dresses which are so stripped down and minimal in their shape and colour, that you have to admire their construction and design. Even the prints look as if they are there to enhance the shape of the dress rather than just some boring print that's just there for the sake of being there.


And while Prada is doing alright on the dress front (if you were looking for a more deconstructive approach to Prada's collection, go here), Pringle has got me by the (very metaphorical) balls, by producing some truly stellar coat designs. I am a sucker for coats, and actually have more coats than I do jeans. Pringle showed some gorgeous heavy, ultra-structured coats which are quite perfect for scowling at merrymakers on dark winter days, and weighty draping coats that look ideal for throwing on and swanning around in.

And to finish, some music:
The Veils - Vicious Traditions
She & Him - I Thought I Saw Your Face Today ('She' being Zooey Deschanel and 'Him' being M.Ward - great album!)
The Black Keys - Till I Get My Way
Bitter:Sweet - Our Remains
Casiotone For The Painfully Alone - Young Shields

Labels: , , , , , ,

12 comments