<body><script type="text/javascript"> function setAttributeOnload(object, attribute, val) { if(window.addEventListener) { window.addEventListener('load', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }, false); } else { window.attachEvent('onload', function(){ object[attribute] = val; }); } } </script> <div id="navbar-iframe-container"></div> <script type="text/javascript" src="https://apis.google.com/js/plusone.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> gapi.load("gapi.iframes:gapi.iframes.style.bubble", function() { if (gapi.iframes && gapi.iframes.getContext) { gapi.iframes.getContext().openChild({ url: 'https://www.blogger.com/navbar.g?targetBlogID\x3d2266529344607186388\x26blogName\x3dThe+Apathist\x26publishMode\x3dPUBLISH_MODE_BLOGSPOT\x26navbarType\x3dBLACK\x26layoutType\x3dCLASSIC\x26searchRoot\x3dhttp://theapathist.blogspot.com/search\x26blogLocale\x3den_GB\x26v\x3d2\x26homepageUrl\x3dhttp://theapathist.blogspot.com/\x26vt\x3d884683321372852148', where: document.getElementById("navbar-iframe-container"), id: "navbar-iframe" }); } }); </script>

Friday, May 11, 2007
Snobs and cluedo.

Yesterday, I was watching Gosford Park when I realised just how many films/books I own that feature a snobbish family/group of friends and their 'intrigues'/a murder mystery.
I think I'm obsessed with that period when the lives of the upper-classes were supposedly filled with glamour and discreet affairs, that everyone knew about but accepted as long as nothing came of it (eg. leaving rich or titled wives/husbands, illegitimate heirs to estates and the like). Nowadays, it seems like British aristocracy is never out of the papers because the girls are running around London nightclubs scantily-clad, while the boys always seem to be either in rehab, or Chinawhite (shocking to me - hah! - because I was brought up on a diet of Enid Blyton and Nancy Drew obviously).


I think the 30's and 40's were a time I wouldn't mind going back to (middle or upper class, I don't think I could clean out a chamberpot), especially style-wise. I hate revealing clothing, I think real fur is acceptable, and I think changing into evening gowns for dinner seems quite fun. In Gosford Park, Kristen Scott Thomas is frequently lounging around, looking divine in masculine clothing, while the men were in black tie for dinner. Who wouldn't want to go back to a time when elegance, discretion (and apparently murder mysteries) were the order of the day?

Labels: , ,

10 comments